Are you 65 or older? Claim your benefits and credits

There are several benefits and credits designed for seniors.

Age amount – You can claim this amount if you were 65 years of age or older on December 31, 2014, and your net income is less than $80,980. The maximum amount you can claim is $6,916.
Pension income amount – You may be able to claim up to $2,000 if you reported eligible pension, superannuation, or annuity payments on your return.
Pension income splitting – If you’re receiving a pension, you may be eligible to split up to 50% of your eligible pension income with your spouse or common-law partner.
Disability amount – If you have a severe and prolonged impairment in physical or mental functions and meet certain conditions, you may be entitled to claim the Disability Tax Credit. To determine eligibility, you must complete Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate and have it certified by a qualified practitioner (medical doctor, optometrist, audiologist, etc.). Once complete, send the certified original form to the disability tax credit unit at your tax centre.
Medical expenses – You can claim the total eligible medical expenses paid for you, your spouse or common-law partner, and your children born in 1997 or later for any 12-month period in 2014.
Registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) – Deductible RRSP contributions can reduce your tax bill. You have until December 31 of the year in which you turn 71 to contribute to your RRSP.
Registered disability savings plan (RDSP) – A registered disability savings plan (RDSP) is a savings plan to help families save for the financial security of a person who is eligible for the disability tax credit. RDSP contributions are not tax deductible and can be made until the end of the year in which the beneficiary turns 59.
Goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit – You may be eligible for the GST/HST credit, a tax-free quarterly payment that helps individuals and families with modest incomes offset all or part of the GST or HST that they pay. To receive this credit, you must file an income tax and benefit return every year, even if you did not receive income in the year. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, only one of you can receive the credit. The credit will be paid to the person whose return is assessed first. The amount will be the same, regardless of who (in the couple) receives it.
Family caregiver amount – If you have a dependant with an impairment in physical or mental functions, you may be able to claim the family caregiver amount.
Working income tax benefit (WITB) – Working individuals and families with low income may be able to claim this refundable tax credit. The WITB includes a supplement for individuals who are eligible for the disability tax credit. Eligible individuals and families may also apply for advance payments.
Public transit amount – You can claim the cost of certain public transit passes, such as a monthly or annual pass, for travel within Canada on public transit in 2014.